Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Craftsman

My father-in-law plays a vintage accordian. Over the years, the instrument had gotten a bit out of tune, with squeaks here and there when there should have been silence, or a more pleasing sound.
I am embaressed to say it but we said at least 5 years ago that we would get the accordian repaired, but we made the mistake of putting it in a closet and sadly it was forgotten. I know that my wife's father is too sweet to remind us that we had been hanging on to his accordian forever, so the poor thing sat in the darkness for years. Until two days ago when I saw someone playing the accordian and remembered that we had it.

I got online and found the Accordian Connection in New Hampshire that has testimonials from people all over the country. The shop was 1 1/2 hours from where we live, but I had a feeling that it would be worth the trip. We left this afternoon and got there at around 3pm. The shop was empty when we got inside. We were surrounded by vintage accordiams on one side and new ones on the other. There we pictures everywhere of accordian virtuosos. We knew that we were in the right place!

Arthur Welch has run the Accordian Connection since 1957 when he graduated from high school, and when he came into the showroom to greet us, I had a good feeling we were in for a treat. He looked over the accordian and told us what he thought, stuck keys, out of tune reeds. He shook his head in the way that only a true professional can. We knew that even though the bill might be a big one that he would take care of us.

While we were there, he told us stories about accordians that he had repaired, people that he had met, places that he had played. While I listened to him I started realizing I was talking with a person who had done one thing, with one business for 54 years! All of a sudden I found myself in awe of him. He was the best at what he did. He took orders from all over the world, including Iceland!

In so many ways I wished that I had the understanding of what I wanted to do for my career at such a young age. But, that wasn't the path that God set me on. He needed me to walk a more complicated path. One that has caused many bumps and bruises, but at the same time one with loads of experiences from many different places.

How can you know what's best for you? Will you settle into a career that you will retire from, or set out on a professional journey that will take you here, there and everywhere? No matter what happens, when you have been at it for 54 years, you'll be able to tell wonderful stories that make those that you are with smile and walk away happier than they were before they met you. So, keep at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment