Saturday, December 3, 2011

Uncomfortable

I'm a pretty big fan of Christian rock. No surprise, right? Anyway, tonight I was listening to Brandon Heath, a top artist on the charts talk about a time when he visited India and had some stomach issues. When he was getting better, but still not feeling great, he said that he wrote some of the best music that he's written.

That really got me to thinking. When have I been the most creative? It's usually when I'm tired, or upset about something. There are times when my thoughts start flowing when I am on top of my game, but I want to say that is in the minority.

It's a pretty odd thing, don't you think? Why would we tend to be more creative when we aren't feeling quite right? Maybe it's because we are more inwardly focused when there's something wrong. We are not as aware of what is going on outside of us and are happier focusing inward in hopes of relieving the pain. And as we help ourselves get through it, we tap into an energy that we didn't think we had.

Now, I'm not hoping that I am uncomfortable any more than necessary. But, when I am, I'll think of it as an opportunity. Kind of crazy the way it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment